Sunday, January 22, 2017

I ran my first ever 5k and it happened to be a Disney one.

Well now I can officially say that I am probably the worst blogger ever. Just kidding I've been super busy with work and taking care of stuff around the house that really the last thing I really want to do is to push out a blog post when its 11 o clock at night and you have to be up at 3:30 am to go and train for your running races.  Anyways onto the actual blog post.



So I decided over the summer to well pay a lot of money to Disney and sign up for my first ever 5k. Now I know that disney races can become really expensive really quickly.  Especially if you signed up for four of them. Yes you read that right I will be running 4 5k's this year alone. I actually wanted to run a race last year when my best friends brother finished his first marathon. 


Now realizing how busy we get a disney it made it a little hard to train properly when you are scheduled 14 hour shifts 4 days out of 6 and you're basically just trying to get enough sleep to make it through all that. Yes good old holidays.


So now I have a race coming up in less than 35 days It's going to be the Princess 5k. My time in the last race was 50 minutes and that was walking and running. Now I actually had a concussion a week prior so I knew that it wouldn't be my best race time, but I honestly wasn't looking at time since it was my first race in general. I had to walk most of it for said injury, and I was perfectly ok with that. 
My new goal for this race will be 45 minutes If I can shave off 5 minutes that will be a huge accomplishment. 

Overall the race atmosphere was addicting loud upbeat music  everyone just having a grand old time. As much as 3 am does suck to get up so early but honestly after you run for 3.1 miles your energy doesn't subside til around 4-5p.m. honestly that's when I think i just crashed.  I am so very grateful to have a best friend like Robyn if it wasn't for her I wouldn't of crossed that finish line or I wouldn't of even signed up. I also want to thank Andy for the support and answering all my questions and keeping me not so nervous on Race day.


I know that I didn't eat a huge breakfast and or drank caffeine in the morning because I didn't want to have a super full stomach. I recommend getting a couple of those cliff bars i had the one that they gave me when I picked up my bib and honestly i didn't feel hungry until after I got back into my car after the race. Thank you protein boxes. If you are wondering what those are it's basically a box of protein to get back into your system after a run. I ate all of that within a half hour after the race, and drank so much power aid and water. I think that's the one thing i need to remember to bring before the race is a bottle of water and chap stick because my lips were super dry by the end of the race . 



Overall it was a super fun day I was super sore by the end of the night because I decided to go walking around magic kingdom literally after the race was over with. I wanted to get a picture of my medal with the castle because why not it was the day after my 29th birthday and I had the next two days off. 

I would recommend going to the expo plan to spend maybe an hour or more in there looking around. It's neat to see wha they are selling and seeing all the disney themed shoes. As much as I would love to have disney themed shoes I didn't want to pay for another pair of gym shoes. I recommend getting a good supporting shoe for when you run a race it makes a huge difference. Also wear something that is comfortable.




I'm thinking about doing a separate section of just running blogs and post pictures and times and what not.  Cheers to starting over and not letting anything get taken for granted. 




No comments:

Post a Comment